Saturday, February 10, 2018

The Great Alone

The Great Alone by Kristin Hannah


I felt like I was surviving in Alaska along with Leni, Cora and Ernst.  This book had so many different layers and underlying themes.  Survival was the heart of it and I don't think I could have survived a winter in Alaska in the 70s that this book depicted. The descriptions of life and scenery in Alasaka were vivid and portrayed the beauty and brutality of that great state.  The biggest theme was the sense of community that was created and how people could trade services and goods without exchange of money.  Love was also a theme that came across throughout the book in different ways.  I don't want to give anything away in this book, but there are many ways love was shown and depicted.  There were times I was proud of the characters and other time I was so mad at them for choices they made.  This is the 2nd book by Kristin Hannah that I have read and while the Nightingale's theme was completely different, in this book I also felt a connection to the characters and celebrated and struggled with them.  Thank you to Netgalley and St. Martin's Press for an e-arc of this great book.  

1 comment:

  1. I am so glad to read you enjoyed this one, Cori. I hope to read it someday. I haven't yet read The Nightingale, but it's on my to read list as well.

    ReplyDelete

Dr. Schwartzman series books 1-3

Danielle Girard has a series about a medical examiner, Annabelle Schwartzman that I enjoy. I haven't posted any of my reviews on the blo...