Monday, June 18, 2018

The Girl Who Smiled Beads- Nonfiction Friday

The Girl Who Smiled Beads 

by Clemantine Wamariya



This book is an important read. It is heartbreaking at times, but I learned so much through Clemantine's eyes. I like how she alternated between more recent times and her past as she and her sister struggled to find their way in Africa after leaving Rwanda. Her struggles of adapting to life in the US are especially important to remember when working with ELL students.  The perseverance shown by both Clementine and Claire was amazing. I also appreciated the rawness of the story and that this wasn't a perfect read tied up with a bow. While her story is her own, I know that this book can teach others about the struggles of refugees from war torn countries all over the world. I highly recommend this book to those that are open to listening and learning. I know this book will stick with me for awhile.  
5 STARS

Thanks to Dewey Decimal for hosting Nonfiction Friday

No comments:

Post a Comment

Dr. Schwartzman series books 1-3

Danielle Girard has a series about a medical examiner, Annabelle Schwartzman that I enjoy. I haven't posted any of my reviews on the blo...