Monday, November 20, 2017

Nonfiction Favorites

Nonfiction Favorites

This year I've joined Nonfiction November.  Thanks to Katie @ DoingDewey for hosting this week.

I have to be honest, I don't read as many nonfiction books as I do fiction.  I am all about stepping out of my comfort zone so maybe 2018 will be the year I read more nonfiction! Click Here for my 2017 year in Nonfiction.

Memoirs-  When I look over all of the books I have read on my Goodreads page, Memoirs are the majority of non-fiction.  I tend to pick comedians and I love to listen to Audiobooks when they are the narrator.  My two all time favorites are Ellen Degeneres Seriously I'm Kidding and Tina Fey's Bossypants.


Other Audiobooks read by the author I have enjoyed include Amy Poehler's Yes Please and Mindy Kaling's  Why Not Me?  Chip and Joanna Gaines - A Magnolia Story (reviewed here)

Interests-  Books that I love for a specific reason, time, or life experience.

Born To Run by Christopher McDougall

Running has been a favorite activity of mine for years and I found this book fascinating.  I think it is a favorite book because it was a topic I could relate to and appreciate.  

Bringing Up Bébé- By Pamela Druckerman
This was a great book when I was pregnant with our first child.  It is a favorite because the author made it seem so easy! Oh the days when I thought we'd live like the French.

Book Club-  I have to give my book club credit, they help me read books I wouldn't normally pick up to read, including non-fiction. A few we have read,

**Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail- by Cheryl Strayed 4/5 Stars (I loved the movie as much as the book.)

**The Glass Castle by Jennette Wells- 4/5 Stars (I plan to see the movie)

Year of Yes- By Shondra Rhimes 3/5 stars



What makes a nonfiction a favorite for you?  Are you a fan of Audiobooks narrated by the author?










10 comments:

  1. I also read more fiction than nonfiction. I enjoy nonfiction, but I really have to have concentrate when I read it. My book club tends to avoid nonfiction, so I don't get any help there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good point, nonfiction takes more concentration. One of the bookclubs I am in, we have to have books that keep the attention of a few people that only read when they love the book. (which is why my husband calls it wine club...haha).

      Delete
  2. I've started listening to audiobooks, and I think it may help me like memoirs a bit better. Hearing something in the author's own voice is a different experience.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! Especially with comedians, their voices just crack me up. People in other cars probably think I'm crazy during the morning commute!

      Delete
  3. I've had mixed experiences with audiobooks narrated by the author. Comedians, entertainers, and people who talk for a living are wonderful, while others can be hit or miss. I always appreciate the intro being read by the author, though, regardless of who voices the main text.

    I'm not a runner but Born to Run sounds fascinating!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, love the author's voice at some point in an audiobook! Born to Run was super interesting!

      Delete
  4. You've got to love a book club for introducing you to things you wouldn't normally pick out, right? :D I've definitely discovered books I've really enjoyed that way too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes!! Its easy to read the same type of books when I'm picking but I really like others picking for me in book club and great discussions too!

      Delete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yep, I definitely read more fiction than non-fiction. This reading event has been great because I've been able to add a lot of interesting books to my list and not feel like I don't know where to start! Great list of books!

    ReplyDelete

Dr. Schwartzman series books 1-3

Danielle Girard has a series about a medical examiner, Annabelle Schwartzman that I enjoy. I haven't posted any of my reviews on the blo...